“Poverty and hunger free resilient and empowered community”
“To enhance sustainable livelihoods and food security of the poor, extreme poor and the disadvantaged communities living in the poverty stricken areas in Bangladesh (empowering communities under Strategic Focus Area-SFA-2)”
- Established community based organization through strengthening unity of the community and utilizing their capacities and resources.
- Increased income and employment opportunities for poor and extreme poor households through integrated and adaptive livelihood development.
- Enhancing access to financial services through community/group led Islamic microfinance
- Enhance access to market for producers and farmers through increasing production, value chain and pro poor market.
Through our integrated approach, we focus on creating employment, boosting income and increasing the assets of poor people – so they can build secure livelihoods. Our training – provided in collaboration with government institutions and technical partners – gives people the equipment, materials, and skills they need to escape the poverty trap. This is underpinned by a support package that may include health care services, and government extension services – among others. Islamic Relief also promotes self-help and small scale enterprise financing using Islamic finance principles. We are actively strengthening the systems and policies around Islamic micro-finance in Bangladesh. Islamic Relief in Bangladesh has significant experience in delivering equitable community development as a route out of poverty. At the heart of our strategy is community empowerment, where local people lead in forming groups and managing operations. The grassroots community platform allows people to work together to achieve sustainable impacts – and is combined with community empowering processes where local people take the lead in group formation, management and operation. This process helps to promote peoples’ rights and ensure equitable development.
Some of the impacts included:
- 52,500 vulnerable families have been adopted with decent and sustainable livelihoods through increased their incomes significantly and improved their status by multiplication of productive asset value is contributing to up-lift their socio-economic status in society.
- Widened and promoted Self-Help Group-SHG with practicing Qard-al-Hasan, an interest free Islamic microfinance product and helped in building solidarity amongst 1,328 groups with an integrated community development approach.
- An inclusive approach now mainstreamed involves older people, widowed women, ethnic and religious minorities, disabled people, and different occupational groups in economic and social development activities.
- 900 women producer formed and strengthened with ensuring regular garments production, quality and enhance marketing. Women producers are able to increase their garments production and promote accessibility in better markets. In collective effort they have opened a unique clothing and soft furnishings showroom in Rangpur as entrepreneurs’ initiatives.
- Based on EU’s final outcome survey report- IRW-HELP-UP project got the highest success (out of 4 FSUP implementing partners) at household’s level average monthly income has increased 554% than baseline status for 10,000 ultra poor families.
- As women empowering process, women have gained economic independence, with control over their income and resources. Their confident level enhanced and women are actively participating in decision making process at household and community level.
- Adopting inclusive approach mainstreamed older persons, person with disability, widow, ethnic minority and occupational groups in economic and social development processes.
- Increased women mobility to economic activities and control over their income and resources.
- Knowledge and skill on human rights, empowerment, gender, WASH, health and hygiene etc. of our targeted community have been increased positively and are of great help in changing their attitude and behavior which, in the long run, resulting positive transformation in their socio-economic conditions.
- The programme participants are being aware about violence against women and other social issues that motivate them to play active role to prevent and protest violence against women.
Integrated Sustainable Development for the Climate Vulnerable Ultra-Poor communities of southern Bangladesh (ISD Climb UP)